Tuesday 5 May 2009

They Call Me The Snake

I know I'm not supposed to buy CD's from stalls in Camden Lock because it infringes copyright and kills music and reduces profits for the industry and... Yep, I don't buy that BS either. If the music industry doesn't want people buying dodgy CD's, it should keep its back catalogue open. That the two Saraya CD's (Saraya and When the Blackbird Sings) could possibly be out of catalogue is beyond me. But that wasn't what I found.

You know those blues albums you hear in cafes or clubs but you can never find in a record store? Funky, dirty, a thick guitar sound and a deep voice half-speaking, half-singing? The guitar licks kinda thrown away, flicked out between the vocal lines? An indisputable groove? Well, such is They Call Me The Snake by Luther 'Snake Boy' Johnson. You can find mp3 downloads on Amazon, but what I have is a double-CD. £10 – a bargain.

He's not to be confused with Luther 'Guitar Junior' Johnson (see You Tube for video) and there's a brief biography here on Answers.com - but no Wikipedia yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment