Monday 10 May 2010

Smug PR From Marantz

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Marantz CD6003 through Sevenoaks Hi-Fi. There were availability problems, but they were confident they should be able to get me one by Saturday. Or not. Maybe next Saturday. Before the next Saturday I called them and made a polite fuss - I have a sixth sense when something isn't quite going right. They told me they were having problems getting a firm date out of Marantz, and I sent Marantz a snotty mail saying that it wsn't on for a company of their reputation to be unable to give delivery times for a piece of kit made in China - this isn't high-end lab-assembled kit we're talking about here. This is what I got as a reply. I promise you, it's cut-and-paste from the mail..


Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback.  We are sad to hear that Sevenoaks sold so many of this unit that they completely depleted their stock.

You are correct this is one of our more highly produced products (within its niche you’ll understand) and is the possibly the most popular CD player in the UK at the minute.  The fact that it was awarded CD player of the year in its price range only drives sales even further beyond our expectation, to the point where we have had to increase production considerably – but even still it is almost not possible to keep up with the increased demand for this product. We had no way of knowing just exactly how well received this product would be – not to mention that it would get such a prestigious award.

What I can confirm for you however is that Kingston do have these on back order, but we are currently unable to confirm their anticipated delivery date – as the next stock consignment has not yet been allocated to retailers. As much as we’d like to be able to quote certain delivery times to our dealers when goods are not in stock at our central this is just not always possible due to logistical circumstances. When goods are in stock, we can usually have product to dealers in approximately 4 days shipped in from Europe.

It should not be too much longer now.
Thanks

(I've left off the guy's name as a courtesy.)
I need say no more. By the by, Sevenoaks called round and found one for me which I should be picking up this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment