Monday 2 January 2012

New Year's Resolutions: The 2012 Mix

Of the Resolutions for 2011, I missed on: city breaks, reading all the books I'd bought but hadn't read yet, project Coriander, and I thought about my age rather more than I should.

City breaks are expensive, especially compared to twice as many days on the coast, because city hotels are expensive, unless I stay in some Holiday-Inn chain at the end of the transport lines. Reading the books is a never-ending task, as I keep buying new ones. Age? I know damn well I'm thinking about that as a way of staying away from women I know I won't choose well and will therefore want to be away from in a very short time. So those items are off the resolutions list. On the other hand, if I don't resolve to take holidays I won't, as not taking holidays is what I do by default, and if I don't count the gym as a resolution, I'm falling into the trap of making last year's resolutions this year's routines. Which is a fine way of filling my diary before I start. So I'm going to drop the ones that don't work and keep the ones that do and I need to make an effort to do.

What do I want to change about what I did in 2011? There's the not-having-a-girlfriend bit, which is a little beyind the scope of New Year's Resolutions. There's the fact that my Saturdays seem to go by in a haze of nothing-much and I have a very high reluctance to venture into the outside world then - unless it's sunny, I wake up early and the Metropolitan Line is working, when I may well go for breakfast in Notting Hill. I need to do something about Saturdays - I know I should be able to do nothing all day - except cook, iron and clean bits of the house (that's "nothing" when you're single) - and not get a guilty conscience about it, but I don't. Call it "Make Saturday Special" for the moment and make it mean something later.

So here's the list for 2012.

1.  Spitalfields isn't Soho - get over it and set off for the Central Line prompt at 17:00
2.  go to the gym at least three days a week
3.  not eat chocolate late in the evening and avoid excess carbs at lunchtime
4.1 take two week-long holidays abroad and a couple of short breaks in the UK
4.2 one weekend, take the sleeper to and from Penzance
5. spend more time researching stuff that's useful to my various projects
6  do my "36 Views of St Mary Axe" photography project
7  read "Finding Time Again" so I've "read Proust"
8. Make Saturday Special - details to follow
9. make the best of the seven-week Olympic period
10. errr... that's it.

(Resolution 9 does not mean what you think it means.)

So let's see how I do with this. I need to do a couple for work as well, but I'm not going to think about those just yet.

1 comment:

  1. You're a bloody good writer!
    Regarding Make Saturdays Special, I take it that you know about Meet-up groups? Google it, there are loads of them around and somewhere in that haystack, there is bound to be the needle that you have been looking for.
    Good luck with 2012

    ReplyDelete