Monday 11 December 2017

How to Get Home From The West End

Two hours to do what should be a one-hour journey. I think the problems I can see on the Train App are due to cascading earlier problems caused by the snow. Oh, the innocence of the uninformed.

19:10 Leave Bill’s on Old Compton Street (Don’t judge me.)

19:20 Bakerloo line from Piccadilly Circus to Waterloo.

19:26 Arriving at Waterloo, we’re told to get to the platforms via the Jubilee Line, which is about an eight-minute walk. Ask the young man making the announcement, is this because of crowding on the main concourse? Yes, he says. I hear something about ninety minute delays. Nope.

19:28 Bakerloo line north to Embankment

19:35 Arrive on Westbound District Line platform, next Richmond train in 10 minutes

19:45 District Line to Richmond

20:10 Due to late running, this train will be terminating at Gunnersbury

20:18 Everybody off at Gunnersbury. You have never been to Gunnersbury. That’s because there is no reason to go there. I don’t know where the people who live there work, but if it’s central London, they get off at Turnham Green and walk, to avoid the shame of getting off at Gunnersbury.

20:22: London Overground to Richmond - but not after it’s vanished from the display board after being announced as “Approaching”. 20:30 Richmond. The Train app is lying about everything, but I’m sure I saw a badly delayed Windsor and Eton train on its way down. Look again three minutes later, it’s vanished. Talk with a man who’s been waiting half an hour, when an Ascot train appears on the board, arriving at 20:47. That will do.

20:40 A badly-delayed Windsor and Eton train arrives. The nice lady on the platform tells me this is all caused by a fire at Waterloo, but the service should be okay tomorrow morning.

20:45 My Bedtime App tells me to go to bed in fifteen minutes to get a good night's sleep.

20:53 Arrive at Feltham.

21:01 Unlock car.

21:05 Park car.

No comments:

Post a Comment